Empire law students perpetuate school’s record of success in California moot court competition
Continuing a tradition of academic excellence, three Empire College School of Law students captured third place in oral argument and third place in appellate advocacy at the Annual California Moot Court Competition held April 10-11, 2015 in San Francisco. In addition, team member Joel Fleck was recognized for individual excellence in appellate advocacy for his oral argument.
The Empire team, coached by Professor Connie Burtnett, consisted of third-year law students Joel Fleck, Richard Watson Jr., and Jesse Wurtzel.
Sixteen law schools sent teams to the competition, including U.C. Berkeley, U.C. Davis, Stanford, UCLA, McGeorge, and Hastings.
“The team’s achievement reflects the incredible effort invested by the students individually and as a group, as well as the hard work and dedication of Professor Burtnett, who put in countless hours coaching and encouraging the team as they prepared for the competition,” stated J. Michael Mullins, Dean of Empire College School of Law.
Congratulations to the 2015 Moot Court Team of Empire College School of Law.
Empire Law School's Moot Court in California Record of Success
Roger J. Traynor California Moot Court Competition
- 2000 1st Place, Brief Writing and 1st Place, Excellence in Appellate Advocacy
- 2002 Runner Up, Best Brief
- 2003 2nd Place, Brief Writing
- 2004 2nd Place, Brief Writing and Excellence in Appellate Advocacy
- 2006 1st Place, Brief Writing, 2nd Place Excellence in Appellate Advocacy, Honorable Mention-Oral Arguments
- 2007 1st Place, Brief Writing, 2nd Place Excellence in Appellate Advocacy, 3rd Place Oral Arguments
- 2008 Best Oralist
- 2009 3rd Place, Oral Arguments
- 2010 2nd Place, Brief Writing
- 2013 3rd Place, Brief Writing
- 2014 3rd Place, Brief Writing
- 2015 - Joel Fleck, 5th Place, Outstanding Individual Oral Arguments
To learn more about moot court in Sonoma County, California, or the Empire College team, contact us today.
Taking on teams from 18 other California law schools, Empire law students Karin Stoeckenius and Andrew Quinn (with their coach Professor Terry Robertson, left) were awarded Second Place in Brief Writing in 2010.